It will look something like this.
Tomorrow, the insulation guys come and spray the foam into my container. Finally, this Rubicon will be crossed. Once the can is insulated, the rest of the work is entirely up to me. I can move ahead at my pace.
It seems a bit surreal.
Fantasy is giving way to reality as I realize that I don’t have the kind of skills or tools to make this look as polished as it has been in my dream. That’s okay. Still, it irks me just a little. On the flip side, I have learned so much about what not to do. No lesson is wasted. Just don’t smash your thumb with a three-pound Ridgid driver; two months later and I still don’t have a thumbnail. Learn from my inattention.
One nice thing: when the foam is done and the walls are sheathed, I’ll be the only one who knows where all the rinky-dink spots are. Like any construction job, I’d bet.
the cargo doors
I worked hard tonight to finish framing the cargo doors so they will hold the foam. As I cleaned up all the sawn end-pieces of wood, the bent screws, the scattered drill bits, and the tools, I realized that there have been some casualties in getting to this point.
I left my screwdriver bits out in the rain. Every last one of them is rusted. I had intended to replace them anyway, but it’s not cool to be so careless with tools. Almost every 5/16″ socket I own is stripped because I used them on 8mm hex-head metal screws. Where was the 8mm socket, you ask? If I knew that, I’d still have intact 5/16″ sockets. Silly question.
The saw blade that came with my table saw has seen better days. It will still cut, but I have to pull the blade down slowly to give it time to get purchase. It gets a bit hot during operation simply from the friction caused by the dull teeth as they labor through the wood. New blades are about $25, so I’ll finish this project and then buy a shiny, new all-purpose blade.
My beloved and cherished French doors have suffered, too. One corner on the bottom edge of one door has a chunk out of it, caused by a falling piece of lumber. The stationary door has a hole and cracks in each pane of glass, probably from the lawn mower throwing a rock off the top of a gopher hill. My fault, and I’ll get to replacing the glass in a while. It’s not tough; I just didn’t want the extra work. The bright side is that I can sand into the corners and edges that didn’t quite get clean the first time around. It will look better than before.
plywood underlayment, 7/32″, twelve bucks for 4×8 sheet
After the insulation, the next order of business is to get the wall covering up. I’m still looking at thin plywood underlayment unless something else just as cheap but better looking comes to my attention. I’ll install the lights, and then trim out the fixtures, wall switches, and outlet receptacles.
Before I finished tonight, I cleaned up the floor and removed whatever things were leaning against the studs. I swept. I brought in the valuables, and put away the tools (disorganized, but they’re in a big SteriLite tub, so I’ll be able to go through them later).
My last task for the night was going to be opening up each outlet box and screwing the back side of the box to the stud. I don’t want the receptacles to be loose. It’s a major peeve of mine in spec houses – just a sign of other corners that might have been cut. I knew it was time to call it a day when I decided to unscrew the first outlet and was promptly shocked. Oh yeah, you have to turn off the electrical supply before you stick your fingers in a socket.
Yep, time to throw in the towel. Tomorrow I’ll be out there at 7am to finish clearing the can and getting my other crap out of the way of the dudes.
Thanks, little buddy!
It’s gonna be amazing. Just like my buddy, Tricerahops.