The doors are in. No weatherstripping, or stop molding, or finish molding, but damn, I did it! With the exception of Glen holding the second door while I put the hinge screws in, I did all of the work myself. I am totally proud, and a little surprised to have made it this far already. I even put in the new doorknob. The nail polish on the keys is drying right now. 🙂
After trimming the outside frame, I get to figure out what to put in the long skinny space between the door and the metal frame. At the bottom I will be putting in a cat door (because, duh!) but above that, I could do a found window, or some pieces of art glass, or even a porthole. Other suggestions are welcome.
Time also to order the custom window that will go in the existing metal frame. I think I’ll go for a vinyl window just for cost, and then trim it out with nice wood. It will have an extra-deep sill, for herbs and stuff.
But, in practical terms, here’s what’s next:
• order window
• frame the rest of the walls
• contrive / design the stud arrangement on the inside of the cargo doors (hint: involves slots, screws, and construction adhesive)
• wiring – gotta get that goofy electrician dude out here soon
• insulation – found out where I can buy the stuff locally, squee!
• put up the wall material – some lovely ¼-inch extra nice veneered plywood
• paint the floor – off white, to make the space appear larger
• design and install custom shelving
• move in!
I’ve probably forgotten a bunch of stuff, but all will be revealed in time. I’m getting used to backtracking a bit here and there in the name of doing things the best I can. I’m not settling for mediocre just to get done quickly. Eventually I’ll have to do a post about what I am learning about construction, stamina, and myself.